Sunday, April 17, 2011

わたしが誇るまち

Long time no blog, I know! I'm finally getting settled in to a place of my own and started work on April 8 so things have been pretty hectic. But I thought I'd disclose some information about my new job and living situation since I've got some time on my hands.

I found employment through a private ALT (Assistant Language Teacher) company called RCS after being put on the waitlist for the prestigious JET Program two years in a row. I have several friends working through this company as well and they have had nothing but good experiences! I'm currently working at two junior high schools and one elementary school in the city of Kumagaya in Saitama Prefecture, which is just about an hour north of Tokyo. My job is to aid the head teacher, a native Japanese, in teaching English as a foreign language to the students. In a big way, my job is to also act as a cultural bridge between the U.S. and Japan because in addition to teaching English, I am a "living resource" -- I give my students a glimpse of what life is like in a country with a culture different from their own. I finished up my first full week on the job on Friday, and although I was a little nervous during my first few classes, I think they all went pretty well! The kids are very cute and sweet, although a few are a bit rowdy, haha.

The city I live in, Kumagaya, is well-known as the hottest place to be in Japan over the summer. I love the heat, but I don't know if I can handle THIS sort of weather! Japan gets hot, but it also gets humid. My friends in other cities in Saitama have told me that it feels like you're melting 24/7 because you're constantly sweating. I don't know what only a few degrees of difference will actually make out here, but I guess I'll find out in a few months when summer rolls around. Other than the potential heat factor, my city is great! It's close enough to Tokyo so that I can see my friends and family pretty frequently, the people here are really nice, and there's plenty to do in the area since it's not considered totally inaka ("rural"). My apartment is small but cozy, and I have only a 10 second walk to a river and road lined with sakura trees!
I think I'm going to like living here :)

No comments: