Monday, April 25, 2011

My journey here, part 2

Continuing from where I left off last time, I was finally at my terminal and waiting to board my flight when I got a call from my best friend telling me about the earthquake in Japan. Memories of the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake quickly filled my mind. I was only three then, but I still remember it so vividly. I ended up spending the rest of my time before boarding my flight looking up as much information about the earthquake online, texting/calling/Facebook-ing my worried friends and family who didn't know the details of my departure (some people had thought I was already in Japan), and feeling sick all over again. My 14+ hour flight to Hong Kong was filled with anxiety and uncertainty. I had no access to the news during my entire flight and I could barely sleep. The middle-aged man sitting next to me was super rude and obnoxious. A passenger who couldn't speak English got sick in the middle of the flight and the crew was helping him out right by my seat for a good hour or so. It was the longest flight I had ever been on and the experience couldn't have been more awful.

When we finally arrived in Hong Kong and I got off the plane, there was a woman standing right outside the exit holding a card with my name on it. She informed me that my flight to Haneda had been canceled, my new flight was leaving for Narita in the late afternoon, and I now had an eight hour layover in Hong Kong. The exhaustion and stress were getting to me really bad at that point, because I almost broke down crying right there in front of her. On the bright side of things, I got a free hotel room for a few hours, so I got to rest a bit (not really) and take a shower. I also got free brunch, so I filled up as much as I could on dim sum. But of course, I had to stand in a few wrong lines and get lost in the airport for an hour before finding my damn hotel.

By the time my plane to Japan was finally up in the air, I was beyond tired. The flight was only about four hours, but I got to sleep for most of it, and that helped me feel a little better. What awaited me in Japan, however, was another adventure altogether.

Part 3, the final chapter, is next! :)

2 comments:

awainzin said...

Hah, I thought your "wrong lines" was supposed to be "long lines" but it was a case of seeing Engrish where there was none.

marico said...

I do that all the time! XD