Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My journey here, part 3

Thanks for sticking with me! This'll be the last chapter of my getting-my-ass-to-Japan saga. I hope you enjoy reading it!

The plane from Hong Kong to Japan landed at about 8:30 PM. It took me about an hour and a half to get my luggage, go through customs, get my tourist visa validated, and find the right train to take out of the airport. My carry-on bags were about 20 pounds. My check-in luggage was probably about 90 pounds. I was basically walking around with another me dangling off of my body. It was, for lack of a better word, painful. When I finally found the station, because of the earthquake, I had to wait an hour for the train to arrive. I wasn't even sure if it was the right one, but since everyone else was getting on it, I did too.

But one of fears had come true -- I got lost on the trains in Japan. All I knew was that I needed to get to my hotel in Asakusa, which is in Tokyo, so I figured that most people would be going to Tokyo from Narita anyway. And they were. But my problem was that I didn't know where the wards and districts in Tokyo were in relation to one another. The first train I got on had its last stop in a place called Aoto. There was a train headed to Ueno leaving shortly from this station, but I had thought that I would be able to take a train straight to Asakusa with relative ease, since there were signs saying that the Toei Asakusa Line goes through this station. When the train to Ueno came, everyone waiting on the platform got on. One of the station attendants told me in Japanese that this was the last train for the evening. I told him I wanted to go to Asakusa, but he told me that the Toei Asakusa Line wasn't running anymore for the day. I was shocked and crestfallen. I wanted to cry again, but told myself to be strong. Everything's gonna be alright...I can just take a taxi to Asakusa! Sure, it would be a little expensive, but at this point, seeing as I had been traveling for more than 24 hours on just under 4 hours of sleep, money was no issue. But first, I really had to go to the bathroom. So before exiting the station to find a taxi, I walked into a bathroom and encountered my first ever squat toilet! I wanted to cry again. However, thanks to some pointers from my friend Chie, I managed to pee without much difficulty and without getting anything on my clothes. ありがとう、ちえちゃん!^_^

I found a cab easily and asked the driver how much it would cost to get to Asakusa. He told me it should be no more than ¥4000 (around US$40). I told him the name of my hotel, but he had not heard of it before. Thankfully, I had the phone number and address of my hotel written down so he ended up finding the directions on GPS with no problems. However, when we got to the place where the GPS told him to go to, my hotel was nowhere in sight. Japanese addresses are very different from addresses in the states. There are no street names or building numbers...you find a building based on its district, block, and what actual building number it is on that block. It turned out that we were just on the other side of the block that the hotel was on, so after giving them a ring, the driver found my hotel.

I went to the lobby with my 110 pounds of luggage, told the receptionist my name, and provided him with the confirmation number provided by my travel agency. At that moment, I wanted nothing more than to lie down and sleep. I didn't even care about showering or brushing my teeth...I was just about ready to pass out. But of course, there had to be one final obstacle for me.

The receptionist couldn't find my reservation. I didn't even know what to say. I had notified the hotel and my travel agency through email that my original flight to Japan was canceled and that I was getting there at a later time. But that shouldn't have affected the confirmation number I was given...wouldn't my reservation still be in the record books? Apparently not. "Do you want to pay for just one night here?" the receptionist asked me. "No, I don't," I responded, gritting my teeth and holding back tears. "I already paid for my week here more than a month ago. Why can't you find my reservation? If I show you the email I got through the travel agency, will that help?" The lobby had free wifi, so I brought out my laptop and found the email I received with my confirmation number and reservation information. The idiot receptionist was still having trouble finding my reservation even after I showed him the email, but finally, his coworker managed to piece everything together and figured out whatever problem there was. I got my room key, received a small apology from the douche-bag receptionist, slowly made my way to my room, plopped on my bed....

...and at long last, cried those many tears I had been holding back since leaving California.

The end! If you made it this far, brownie points for you :) See you next time!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, you are amazing. it's like you faced every possibly travel-related disaster, and came out on top! now you know you can handle anything :) thanks for sharing the story! (and sorry for being one of those overly-worried friends bugging you about the earthquake, hehe)

marico said...

Aww, thank you, Emily! *^_^* The entire time, I totally felt like the universe was telling me that Japan didn't want me, but I waited way too long for this opportunity so I wasn't about to give up. I definitely feel like I can handle just about anything now, haha. And no, I really do appreciate your concern! I think that the news in the US is making it seem like the whole country is going to shit, but the big metropolitan areas like Tokyo are just fine.

Thanks for reading :)

awainzin said...

Looks like you were able to handle yourself just fine in the face of quite a bit of adversity. I hope it's turning out well in the aftermath.

marico said...

Thanks, Alex! I'm really enjoying myself out here, now that I've finally freaking arrived, haha.