Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Discoveries, part 2

Hello! It's been a while. I've been somewhat busy lately. My last post was written when I had just moved from a hotel to a youth hostel, and I've been living with my relatives since this past Saturday. On Monday, I had my first day of training for my job, and in between everything, I've been doing various things with the relatives I'm living with.

I've found a few more interesting things about Japan that I thought I'd share. This list will no doubt keep growing and growing as long as I'm here, haha:
  • Produce in Japan, especially fruit, is pretty expensive. I bought a bag of three apples a while back for about US$3. A dollar an apple! My aunt bought a bag of oranges today for about US$5. I'm pretty sure there were less than six oranges in the bag. Small salads at convenience stores are generally more expensive than a decently sized bento meal too. I'm not really sure why this is.
  • Japanese TV is some of the most entertaining stuff ever! I often watched variety shows and j-dramas on the Asian channels or the Internet back in California, but having access to it on a real TV has been a really great experience. Because of the recent disasters, a lot of the regular scheduled programming has been substituted with [often depressing] news (which I want to watch but have a bit of trouble understanding sometimes) so when I get the chance to watch an uplifting variety show, I'm never disappointed. It's been pretty helpful with my Japanese learning too.
  • Squat toilets. Freaking. SUCK! If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out this video (note: subtitles are totally inaccurate but still pretty funny). My legs are pretty strong from working out and doing ballet so the squatting part doesn't bother me. What I hate the most about these is that I have no idea how I'm supposed to avoid getting "stuff" on my pants after I pull 'em down. My solution has been to completely remove them before squatting. This, however, is very troublesome and apparently unnecessary. These toilets are usually the only kind available publicly at train stations and other such places, so in an emergency, I have no choice. Suggestions on how to properly use these (from the ladies especially!) are most welcome.
  • You really don't need to know much or any Japanese to get by in Japan, especially if you're in a super metro or touristy area like Tokyo. One of the big reasons why it took me a while to finally get to Japan is because I wasn't sure that my Japanese ability would be sufficient, particularly since I'm mistaken as a native Japanese person from time to time. A good number of Japanese people know English. The train station names are written and announced in English. Most of the menus in restaurants have photos that you can point to if you can't read Japanese. Even taxi drivers with no knowledge of the English language have "point here" cards for riders to easily let the driver know where they need to go. So if the language barrier is something that's holding you back from visiting Japan, don't let it!
  • Not everyone here is super fashionable. I think it's a pretty widespread stereotype that Japanese people, especially the youngsters, are oshare. Now that I'm living here, I find this quite untrue! I still feel super bumpkin walking around places like Shinjuku or Shibuya in my old jeans and favorite tee (I'll definitely buy some clothes from 109 when I have the money though, haha), but I do encounter a similarly dressed person from time to time. Some things that are "in fashion" right now in Japan are kinda dumb anyway. One example is glasses frames with no lenses. Really, Japan? Really?
That should do it for now. Thanks for reading, and see you next time!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Excellent Read! Thank you for sharing with us. I found a wiki-how article on how to properly use the squat toilets. It probably doesn't tell you anything that you don't already know... but maybe it'll help. Looking forward to your next entry. Have fun xoxo

Jennifer

Jennifer said...

The link would help - http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Squat-Toilet

sheshakes said...

I'd imagine fruit and vegetables are expensive because so much of the produce for sale in Japan is not grown in Japan; importing everything is a bitch!

marico said...

@Jennifer: Thank you for reading and for the useful link! I had to use a squat toilet at the planetarium today and it wasn't a fun experience D: I'll use what I learned from the wiki next time for sure~
@Carolyn: Yes, that makes total sense! Maybe I've been reading the labels wrong then...all the kanji I can't read makes it seem like everything is homegrown.