Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Itadakimasu!

Since I don't have a permanent residence with a kitchen yet, I've mostly been living off of stuff I find at convenience stores or vending machines, just like a real Japanese salary man! I oftentimes come across things I'm familiar with and have had before in the states, but since I'm on a new adventure, I've been attempting to broaden my horizons by trying stuff I've never tasted before. Here's a small list of things I've enjoyed (○) and disliked (×).

○ Curry pan (curry bread): It might sound surprising to some, but I hadn't had it before Japan! It's like a savory donut, covered in breadcrumbs, and injected with curry sauce. Amazing, amazing, amazing. Not super healthy, but a tasty treat every now and again for sure.
× Mentaiko (pollock roe): I ate it in a riceball. It was way too salty for my taste. The kind I bought was also supposed to be spicy, but it totally wasn't. Maybe it would've been more edible if I had some Sriracha to throw on there, hehe.
○ Royal milk tea: I heard about it back at home, and it's now become a new obsession of mine! It's not the healthiest thing in the world, but holy moly, is it ever a delicious sweet treat :9 I think it's a basic black tea with sugar and cream. You can find them in vending machines too, but the one I had in a cafe was so much better. The cream they added to it was hot!
× Dark green tea (Oi Ocha brand): Bought it in a bottle yesterday just to see what it tasted like. It's not terrible, but I do prefer the original which, strangely enough, already tastes darker than the ones I've had in the US.
○ Ramen: The REAL kind. With a pork-based broth, big ol' slabs of pork floating on top, and thick chewy noodles. Heaven in a bowl.
× Potato chips: Alright, obviously I've had these before, but all the ones I've come across out here are basically like Pringles -- mashed potatoes molded into a chip shape and then baked or fried. Where are the dang kettle chips?!

Looking at this list makes me realize that I should probably start looking for delicious Japanese food that won't make me fat. I heard that most people, especially Americans, typically lose weight while they're in Japan because the portions tend to be smaller. Obviously this won't be the case if I keep eating curry pan, royal milk tea, and ramen all the time, so I'd better start watching it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good dietary write up, Mari. Yum. I'll keep an eye on your blog.